- Funny is defined as causing laughter or out of the ordinary.
- An example of something funny is a joke that makes everyone laugh.
- An example of something funny is a fish that smells odd.
- The definition of a funny is a joke or something that makes people laugh.
An example of a funny is a comic strip.
This woman is laughing at something funny.
funny definition by Webster's New World
adjective funnier, funniest
- causing laughter; laughable; amusing; humorous
- out of the ordinary; strange; queer
- ☆ deceptive or tricky
Origin: see fun and amp; -y
pl. funniesInformal a joke or witticism
funny definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
adjective fun·ni·er, fun·ni·est
- a. Causing laughter or amusement.b. Intended or designed to amuse.
- Strangely or suspiciously odd; curious.
- Tricky or deceitful.
- A joke; a witticism.
- funniesa. Comic strips.b. The section of a newspaper containing comic strips.
Origin: From fun.
- funˈni·ly adverb
- funˈni·ness noun
funny - Phrases/Idioms
In addition to the idioms beginning with funny, also see under fun.
get funny withâ
Informal to be impudent to