- The definition of amuse means to appeal to someone's sense of humor.
To tell funny stories to entertain people is an example of amuse.
- Amuse means keeping yourself or someone else occupied in a pleasant manner, usually by doing or letting someone do something enjoyable.
To have children play video games in order to occupy them is an example of amuse.
- to keep pleasantly or enjoyably occupied or interested; entertain: we amused ourselves with games
- to make laugh, smile, etc. by being comical or humorous
- Obsolete to engage the attention of so as to deceive; delude; bemuse
Origin: French amuser ; from à, at plush Old French muser, to stare fixedly, muse
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb a·mused, a·mus·ing, a·mus·es
- To occupy in an agreeable, pleasing, or entertaining fashion.
- To cause to laugh or smile by giving pleasure: I was not amused by his jokes.
- Archaic To delude or deceive.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French amuser, to stupefy : a-, to (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + muser, to stare stupidly; see muse .
- a·musˈa·ble adjective
- a·musˈer noun