- The definition of annoy means to irritate or disturb.
An example of annoy is to repeatedly poke someone in the arm.
annoy definition by Webster's New World
- to irritate, bother, or make somewhat angry, as by a repeated action, noise, etc.
- to harm by repeated attacks; harry; molest
Origin: Middle English anoien ; from Old French anoier ; from Vulgar Latin inodiare ; from in odio habere (or esse), to have (or be) in hate: see odium
- annoyer noun
annoy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb an·noyed, an·noy·ing, an·noys
- To cause slight irritation to (another) by troublesome, often repeated acts.
- Archaic To harass or disturb by repeated attacks.
Origin: Middle English anoien, from Old French anoier, ennuyer, from Vulgar Latin *inodiāre, to make odious, from Latin in odio, odious : in, in; see in-2 + odiō, ablative of odium, hatred; see od- in Indo-European roots.