Odium is defined as dislike or hatred of someone because of their behavior or actions.
When everyone hates a politician because he lied to the public and destroyed the economy, this is an example ofodium.
- hatred, esp. of a person or thing regarded as loathsome
- the state or fact of being hated
- the disgrace brought on by hateful action; opprobrium
Origin of odiumL, hatred, ill will ; from odi, I hate ; from Indo-European base an unverified form od-, hatred from source Classical Greek odyssasthai, to be angry, Old Norse atall, frightful
- The state or quality of being odious.
- Strong dislike, contempt, or aversion.
- A state of disgrace resulting from hateful or detestable conduct.
Origin of odiumLatin, hatred; see od- in Indo-European roots.
Borrowed from Latin odium.
odium - Legal Definition
- Hatred or distaste for, accompanied by contempt or disgust.
- A condition of disgrace, usually as the result of some form of vile conduct.