- Umbrage is defined as resentment or annoyance.
An example of umbrage is what you feel when someone asks you a question that you find to be presumptuous, offensive and annoying, you take umbrage with their question.
umbrage definition by Webster's New World
- Old Poet., Obsolete shade; shadow
- foliage, considered as shade-giving
- offense or resentment: to take umbrage at a remark
- Archaic a semblance or shadowy appearance
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin umbraticus, of shade ; from umbra, a shade, shadow
umbrage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Offense; resentment: took umbrage at their rudeness.
- a. Something that affords shade.b. Shadow or shade. See Synonyms at shade.
- A vague or indistinct indication; a hint.
Origin: Middle English, shade, from Old French, from Latin umbrāticum, neuter of umbrāticus, of shade, from umbra, shadow.