- Umbra is shadow, or a dark tone or area.
- An example of an umbra is the shadow beyond a streetlight.
- An example of an umbra is the darkest part of the shadow cast by an eclipse.
The streetlights shadow is an example of umbra.
nounpl. umbrae or umbras
- shade or a shadow
- the dark central cone of shadow projecting from a planet or satellite on the side opposite the sun
- the dark central part of a sunspot
- Rare a phantom, or ghost
- Physics a perfect or complete shadow, in which no direct light is received from the source of illumination
Origin of umbraClassical Latin a shade, shadow
nounpl. um·bras or um·brae
- A dark area, especially the blackest part of a shadow from which all light is cut off.
- Astronomy a. The completely dark central portion of the shadow cast by the earth, moon, or other body during an eclipse.b. The darkest region of a sunspot.
Origin of umbraLatin, shadow.
From Latin umbra (â€œshadowâ€).