YourDictionary.com is owned by LoveToKnow, an innovative, digital media company with rapid-fire growth. The family of privately held LoveToKnow websites, including YourDictionary.com, Bibliography.com, LoveToKnow.com, and GolfLink.com, is dedicated to providing useful, high-quality, and unique content to internet users.
Easy-to-Use Source for Word Information
Using YourDictionary couldn't be easier. It offers a clear dictionary you can understand, with lots of tools and resources to help you choose your words precisely, avoid usage pitfalls, and be confident in your use of grammar.
You will find:
- Simple, easy-to-understand definitions
- Pronunciation help - See and hear how to pronounce a word
- Parts of speech - Learn how a word is used as a verb, noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb, preposition, conjunction, or interjection
- Examples of a word - Read clear illustrations of the meaning of a word
- Sentence examples - See examples of a word used in sentences to give context
- Quotations - See your chosen word used in famous quotes
- Etymology (origin) of a word - Learn the history or source of a word
- Browsing help - Discover related or similar words
Comprehensive Reference Source
YourDictionary is a comprehensive reference site. To add to your knowledge and understanding of words and grammar YourDictionary also provides:
- Additional definitions and information - Broaden your perspective on a word with definitions from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th edition, Webster's New World College Dictionary, Wiktionary, and Ologies & Isms.
- Words with the same or similar meanings - Find synonyms, comparisons, examples, and related terms and ideas for a word in the Webster's New World Roget's A-Z Thesaurus.
- Specialty definitions - Learn how the word is used in various occupations and interest areas, including computer, investment & finance, and law.
- Biographical information - Expand your knowledge of history and different cultures with the biographies of over 7,000 current and historic notable figures found in the Encyclopedia of World Biography and in biographies created for you by YourDictionary editors.
- Related articles - Learn more about how to understand and use words in an incredible archive of grammar, education, esl (English as a second language), and reference articles.
- Games to expand vocabulary - Use Word Finder for help with word games like Words With Friends, Scrabble, and 4 Pics 1 Word.
- Usage tips - Follow YourDictionary on Facebook and Twitter for editor tips on seasonal words, grammar hints and fun definitions.