- The definition of a shelter is a structure that provides cover or protection.
An example of a shelter is a house.
- To shelter is defined as to provide protection or cover.
An example of to shelter is to give a homeless person a place to live.
Your home is your shelter.
shelter definition by Webster's New World
- something that covers or protects; protection, or place affording protection, as from the elements or danger
- the state of being covered or protected; protection; refuge
- any of various places for providing food and lodging on a temporary or emergency basis, as one for the homeless or one for stray pets
Origin: probably ; from Middle English scheltroun, earlier scheltrum ; from Old English sceldtruma, literally , shield troop, body of men protected by interlocked shields ; from scield (see shield) plush truma, an array, troop; akin to trum, strong: (see trim)
shelter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Something that provides cover or protection, as from the weather.b. A refuge; a haven.c. An establishment that provides temporary housing for homeless people.
- The state of being covered or protected.
- To provide cover or protection for.
- To invest (income) to protect it from taxation.
Origin: Perhaps from Middle English sheltron, tight battle formation, from Old English scildtruma : scield, shield; see shield + truma, troop; see deru- in Indo-European roots.
- shelˈter·er noun
- shelˈter·less adjective