- The definition of asylum is protection, a place of rest or safety, or a place where people go when their mental condition keeps them from being able to live on their own.
- A hospital for the mentally ill is an example of an asylum.
- A country that accepted a person from another country that was in danger is an example of a country that gave asylum to that person.
asylum definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete a sanctuary, as a temple, where criminals, debtors, etc. were safe from arrest
- a place where one is safe and secure; refuge
- the protection given by a sanctuary or refuge or by one country to refugees from another country
- an institution for the care of the mentally ill, or of the aged, the poor, etc.: in this sense, largely replaced by such terms as mental (or psychiatric) hospital, nursing home, etc.
Origin: Classical Latin ; from Classical Greek asylon ; from asylos, inviolable ; from a-, without plush sylon, right of seizure
asylum definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An institution for the care of people, especially those with physical or mental impairments, who require organized supervision or assistance.
- A place offering protection and safety; a shelter.
- A place, such as a church, formerly constituting an inviolable refuge for criminals or debtors.
- The protection afforded by a sanctuary. See Synonyms at shelter.
- Protection and immunity from extradition granted by a government to a political refugee from another country.
Origin: Middle English asilum, refuge, from Latin asȳlum, from Greek asūlon, sanctuary, from neuter of asūlos, inviolable : a-, without; see a-1 + sūlon, right of seizure.
asylum - Legal Definition
- The decision by a country’s government to allow within its border a person from another country and to protect that person from prosecution and persecution by that other country’s government.
- The protection and refuge granted by a country to citizens and residents of other countries who obtain entry unto the premises of its foreign embassies and consulates.
asylum - Medical Definition