- Refuge is defined as a place where you are sheltered from danger, or to the condition of being sheltered from danger.
- An example of refuge is what you seek when you go to a church and ask them to protect you from rioters outside.
- An example of refuge is a church that provides a place safe from danger.
refuge definition by Webster's New World
- shelter or protection from danger, difficulty, etc.
- a person or thing that gives shelter, help, or comfort
- a place of safety; shelter; safe retreat
- an expediency or shift; action taken to escape trouble or difficulty
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin refugium ; from refugere, to retreat ; from re-, back plush fugere, to flee: see fugitive
refuge definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Protection or shelter, as from danger or hardship.
- A place providing protection or shelter.
- A source of help, relief, or comfort in times of trouble. See Synonyms at shelter.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin refugium, from refugere, to run away : re-, re- + fugere, to flee.