- The definition of a resort is a vacation place, often with food and entertainment.
- Resort is defined as to turn to something or someone for help, often in a desperate way.
An example of resort is to turn to stealing to supply one's family with food.
resort definition by Webster's New World
- to go; esp., to go often, customarily, or generally
- to have recourse; go or turn (to) for use, help, support, etc.: to resort to harsh measures
Origin: Middle English resorten ; from Old French resortir ; from re-, again plush sortir, to go out: see sortie
- a place to which people go often or generally, esp. one for rest or recreation, as on a vacation
- a frequent, customary, or general going, gathering together, or visiting: a place of general resort
- a person or thing that one goes or turns to for help, support, etc.
- a going or turning for help, support, etc.; recourse: to have resort to relatives
Origin: ME < OFr < the v.
- resorter noun
resort definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb re·sort·ed, re·sort·ing, re·sorts
- To have recourse: The government resorted to censorship of the press.
- To go customarily or frequently; repair.
- A place frequented by people for relaxation or recreation: a ski resort.
- A customary or frequent going or gathering: a popular place of resort.
- The act of turning to for aid or relief; recourse: raised the money without resort to borrowing.
- One turned to for aid or relief: I would ask him only as a last resort.
Origin: Middle English resorten, to return, from Old French resortir, to go out again : re-, re- + sortir, to go out.
resort - Phrases/Idioms
as a last resort