- The definition of an opportunity is an favorable situation for a positive outcome.
An example of opportunity is a lunch meeting with a possible employer.
opportunity definition by Webster's New World
- a combination of circumstances favorable for the purpose; fit time
- a good chance or occasion, as to advance oneself
Origin: Middle English opportunite ; from Old French opportunité ; from Classical Latin opportunitas ; from opportunus: see opportune
opportunity definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. op·por·tu·ni·ties
- a. A favorable or advantageous circumstance or combination of circumstances.b. A favorable or suitable occasion or time.
- A chance for progress or advancement.