- The definition of a rover is a wandering person or thing.
An example of a rover is a gypsy.
rover definition by Webster's New World
- a person who roves, or wanders
- a mark, or target, chosen at random
- any of several set marks for distance shooting
- an archer who shoots for distance
Origin: rove plush -er
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle Dutch robber ; from roven, to rob (for Indo-European base see rupture): probably merged with rover
- a person who operates a machine for roving fibers
- such a machine
rover definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. One that roves; a wanderer.b. A crewed or uncrewed vehicle, used especially in exploring the terrain of a planet and its satellites.
- Sports A mark in archery selected by chance.
- A pirate.
- A pirate vessel.
Origin: Middle English, from Middle Dutch or Middle Low German, robber, from roven, to rob; see reup- in Indo-European roots.