The definition of a pirate is someone who steals, particularly at sea.
Examples of Pirate Slang
- There is no telling how many slang words were truly used by pirates. Even professors of history and linguistic studies can only estimate, however, there are written accounts from voyages and adventures taken long ago that have brought to light the many different slang words and phrases.
- Shiver me timbers - A simple expression of shock or disbelief
- All hands hoay - A call to action for the ship's crew for all hands to be on deck
- Jacob’s ladder - A rope ladder that is used to climb aboard the ship
- Cackle fruit - Slang for chicken eggs
- Monkey - Slang for a small cannon
- Head - The toilet which was a hole cut into the deck of a ship’s head or bow where human waste would go directly into the sea
- Poop deck - The deck that had the highest back and was above the Captain’s quarters
- Black jack - A drinking cup made of tar and leather
- Grog - A drink mixture of water and rum that was used to cover the taste of the spoiled water that sailors often drank
- In the hog's head - This mean's you are drunk. A hog's head is a barrel of alcohol.
- Grog - Technically, grog is rum and water, but you can call whatever you're drinking grog if you want to.
- Avast - When you want someone to pay attention or if you are very surprised, you can say "AVAST!" You may also say "Blow me down!"
- Arrr - This is the word most pirate jokes are made of. It can mean anything you want it to.
- Aye - Say "aye" instead of "yes."
- Pieces of eight - This is money. You can also say "booty."
- In Davy's grip - This means that someone is near death, probably after drinking a hog's head of grog. Davy Jones is the ruler of the depths of the sea.
- Davy Jones locker - A place at the bottom of the ocean where dead sailors and pirates would go in death
- I’ll see you Davy Jones - This means you are threatening to kill someone
- To have the Davies or the Joneseys - This means that you are frightened
The whole notion of Davy Jones is attributed to an evil spirit who allegedly lurked at sea waiting to escort dead sailors to the sea bottom. (noun)
An example of a pirate is Captain Hook.
Pirate is defined as to rob or steal, or to publish or use copyrighted material without permission. (verb)
An example of to pirate is to illegally download music online or to illegally make use of television broadcast transmissions.