- a person who plays a game: a football player
- a performer in a drama; actor
- a person who plays a musical instrument
- a gambler
- a person or group regarded as a chief or legitimate participant in some competitive activity
- Slang a person, esp. a man, who is given to sexual promiscuity, unfaithfulness, etc.
- an apparatus attached to a musical instrument, as to a piano, for playing it automatically
- a device for playing tapes, records, discs, etc., esp. one that does not also record
- One that plays, especially:a. One who participates in a game or sport.b. A gambler.c. One who performs in theatrical roles.d. One who plays a musical instrument.
- An active participant: a major player in world affairs.
- The mechanism actuating a player piano.
- A device that plays or controls the playing of audio or video recordings.
- Slang One who actively seeks out sexual partners and carries on a number of sexual affairs at the same time.
- One that plays
- One who plays any game or sport.
- (theater) An actor in a dramatic play.
- (music) One who plays on a musical instrument.
- (gaming, video games) A gamer; a gamester.
- (gambling) A gambler.
- (historical) A mechanism that actuates a player piano or other automatic musical instrument.
- (electronics) An electronic device or software application that plays audio and/or video media, such as CD player.
- One who is playful; one without serious aims; an idler; a trifler.
- A significant participant.
- He thought he could become a player, at least at the state level.
- (informal) A person who plays the field rather than having a long-term sexual relationship.
From Middle English playere, from Old English pleÄ¡ere (“player, athlete, wrestler"), equivalent to play +"Ž -er.