- a person who plays a game: a football player
- a performer in a drama; actor
- a person who plays a musical instrument
- a gambler
- a person or group regarded as a chief or legitimate participant in some competitive activity, often one involving risk
- an apparatus attached to a musical instrument, as to a piano, for playing it automatically
- a device for playing tapes, records, discs, etc., esp. one that does not also record
See player in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- One that plays, especially:
a. One who participates in a game or sport.
b. A gambler.
c. One who performs in theatrical roles.
d. One who plays a musical instrument.
- An active participant: a major player in world affairs.
- The mechanism actuating a player piano.
- A machine that reproduces recorded audio or audio-visual material.
- Slang One who actively seeks out sexual partners and carries on a number of sexual affairs at the same time.
Learn more about player