- The definition of an athlete is a person either trained or with natural ability to play sports.
Michael Jordan is an example of an athlete.
Origin of athleteClassical Latin athleta ; from Classical Greek athlētēs, contestant in the games ; from athlein, to contest for a prize ; from athlos, a contest, athlon, a prize
- One who participates in physical exercise or sports, especially in competitive events.
- One possessing the requisite strength, agility, and endurance for success in sports: a natural athlete.
Origin of athleteMiddle English, from Latin āthlēta, from Greek āthlētēs, contestant, from āthlein, to contend, possibly from āthlos, contest.
- A participant in a group of sporting activities which includes track and field, road running, cross country running and racewalking.
- She's the first athlete in her sport to come out as gay.
- (US) A person who actively participates in physical sports, possibly highly skilled in sports. (Known in British English as a "sportsperson".)
- An exceptionally physically fit person.
From Ancient Greek ἀθλητής (athlētēs), from ἀθλέω (athlēō, “compete for a prize”), from ἆθλον (athlon, “prize”) or ἆθλος (athlos, “competition”).