- a person, esp. a man, who is interested in or takes part in sports, esp. in hunting, fishing, etc.
- a person who can take loss or defeat without complaint, or victory without gloating, and who treats opponents with fairness, generosity, courtesy, etc.
- A man who is active in sports.
- A person whose conduct and attitude exhibit sportsmanship.
- sports′man·like′, sports′man·ly
- (UK) A man who engages in sports. A male athlete.
- (dated) A man who engages in country sports, such as hunting or fishing.
sports +"Ž -man.