- Sportsmanship is defined as ethical, appropriate, polite and fair behavior while participating in a game or athletic event.
When a basketball player plays by the rules, is fair to his opponent and is gracious when he loses, this is an example of sportsmanship.
sportsmanship definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- skill in or fondness for sports
- qualities and behavior befitting a sportsman
sportsmanship definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The fact or practice of participating in sports or a sport.
- Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing.