- Sportsmanship is defined as ethical, appropriate, polite and fair behavior while participating in a game or athletic event.
When a basketball player plays by the rules, is fair to his opponent and is gracious when he loses, this is an example of sportsmanship.
- skill in or fondness for sports
- qualities and behavior befitting a sportsman
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The fact or practice of participating in sports or a sport.
- Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing.