- The definition of a facility is a building or room which was created to serve a specific purpose or is the ease of doing something.
- An example of a facility is a gym.
- An example of facility is the ability to accomplish many tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
This gym is a sports facility.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- ease of doing or making; absence of difficulty
- a ready ability; skill; dexterity; fluency
- the means by which something can be done: poor transportation facilities
- a building, special room, etc. that facilitates or makes possible some activity: a new facility for outpatient treatment
- Now Rare a tendency to be easygoing, yielding, etc.
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French facilite ; from Classical Latin facilitas, easiness ; from facilis, facile
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. fa·cil·i·ties
- Ease in moving, acting, or doing; aptitude: “an extreme facility in acquiring new dialects” (W.H. Hudson).
- Readiness to be persuaded; pliability.
- Something that facilitates an action or process. Often used in the plural. See Synonyms at amenity.
- Something created to serve a particular function: hospitals and other health care facilities.
- facilities Informal A restroom.