hardness definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the state or quality of being hard (in various senses)
- the relative capacity of a substance for scratching another or for being scratched or indented by another
hardness definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The quality or condition of being hard.
- The relative resistance of a mineral to scratching, as measured by the Mohs scale.
- The relative resistance of a metal or other material to denting, scratching, or bending.
hardness - Science Definition
A measure of how easily a mineral can be scratched. Hardness is measured on the Mohs scale.