- The definition of an installation is the act of putting something in, a device that stays in one place, a military base, or an art piece that often involves building and different types of materials.
- Getting your new air conditioner put in is an example of an installation.
- The control panel that you use to manage your home's temperature is an example of an installation.
- An example of an installation is the Cheyenne Mountain Complex, built into the side of a Colorado mountain.
- An artist building large shapes out of sticks in public spaces is an example of an art installation.
installation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an installing or being installed
- a complete mechanical apparatus fixed in position for use: a heating installation
- any military post, camp, base, etc.
- a work of art requiring construction or elaborate setting up at its exhibition site: an installation typically makes use of a variety of media and often includes nontraditional media, as projected images or taped sounds
Origin: Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin installatio
installation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of installing.b. The state of being installed. Also called installment2.
- A system of machinery or other apparatus set up for use.
- A permanent military base.