Origin of athleteClassical Latin athleta from Classical Greek athl?t?s, contestant in the games from athlein, to contest for a prize from athlos, a contest, athlon, a prize
The definition of an athlete is a person either trained or with natural ability to play sports.
Michael Jordan is an example of an athlete.
a person trained in exercises, games, or contests requiring physical strength, skill, stamina, speed, etc.
- One who participates in physical exercise or sports, especially in competitive events.
- One possessing the requisite strength, agility, and endurance for success in sports: a natural athlete.
Origin of athleteMiddle English from Latin āthlēta from Greek āthlētēs contestant from āthlein to contend possibly from āthlos contest
- A participant in a group of sporting activities which includes track and field, road running, cross country running and racewalking.
- She's the first athlete in her sport to come out as gay.
- (US) A person who actively participates in physical sports, possibly highly skilled in sports. (Known in British English as a "sportsperson".)
- An exceptionally physically fit person.
OriginSee also: athlète
From Ancient Greek ἀθλητής (athlētēs), from ἀθλέω (athlēō, “compete for a prize”), from ἆθλον (athlon, “prize”) or ἆθλος (athlos, “competition”).
- The athlete took medication so that he would not wheeze.
- It's no easy task trying to come up with nutritious yet affordable meals that will be acceptable to a picky toddler, a teenage athlete with a bottomless appetite, and a husband who may be reluctant to step outside his culinary comfort zone.
- The character of Supervisory Special Agent Derek Morgan seems to have taken page from Moore's history. Like Moore, Morgan was an assertive young athlete, who was raised by a single mom and rode an athletic scholarship to college.
- Female athlete triad: Female athletes at the high school or college level are at increased risk for a triad of disorders: excessive dieting or disordered eating, amenorrhea, and loss of bone minerals leading to osteoporosis.
- In spite of being a mediocre athlete at best, Dean had thrived on sports.