- one who contends
- a person, team, etc. having or regarded as having a good chance to win a contest or competition: their team is just not a legitimate contender this year
The definition of a contender is a person or team that is competing and has a chance at winning.
Someone who is skilled in tennis and is participating in a tournament is an example of a contender.
- Though it's hard to conceive of a better contender to Gainsbourg's crown than the inimitable Jarvis Cocker, artists as diverse as Franz Ferdinand, Tricky, Michael Stipe, and Sly and Robbie give it a go on this album as well.
- Contender Boxers -- Visit this website to see an example of a whelping box made by installing plastic laminate reinforced with fiberglass on top of a piece of plywood.
- Console manufacturers are starting to cut into this advantage with custom hardware and HDTV, but at the moment, the PC's customizability makes it a tough contender.
- Your "Join us" site should emphasize commitments to product or service quality and customer service, and an explanation of what you do and why your company is the industry leader, or an up-and-coming contender.
- Shocked when his name is pulled from the Goblet of Fire, Harry reluctantly assumes the role of contender in the tournament and begins to prepare himself for another dangerous adventure filled year at Hogwarts.