- The definition of a champion is a person who is the best in his field or who has defeated all rivals.
An example of a champion is an Olympic gold medal winner.
- To champion is defined as to speak up in favor of or in support of a cause.
An example of champion is an active supporter of women's rights.
This man is a champion.
- a valiant fighter
- a person who fights for another or for a cause; defender; protector; supporter: a champion of the oppressed
- a winner of first place or first prize in a competition
Origin of championOld French (? via Germanic an unverified form kampjo) ; from Late Latin campio, gladiator ; from Classical Latin campus, field: see campus
- to fight for; defend; support
- Obsolete to challenge to a fight
- One that wins first place or first prize in a competition.
- One that is clearly superior or has the attributes of a winner: a champion at teaching.
- An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the homeless.
- One who fights; a warrior.
transitive verbcham·pi·oned, cham·pi·on·ing, cham·pi·ons
- To fight for, defend, or support as a champion: championed the cause of civil rights. See Synonyms at support.
- Obsolete To defy or challenge.
- Holding first place or prize: a champion show dog.
- Superior to all others: “the champion playboy of the Western World” (John Millington Synge).
Origin of championMiddle English champioun, combatant, athlete, from Old French champion, from Medieval Latin campiō, campiōn-, from Latin campus, field.
- Someone who has been a winner in a contest.
- The defending champion is expected to defeat his challenger.
- Someone who is chosen to represent a group of people in a contest.
- Someone who fights for a cause or status.
- champion of women's suffrage
- Someone who fights on another's behalf.
- champion of the poor
- Acting as a champion; that has defeated all one's competitors.
- Excellent; beyond compare.
- (predicative) (Ireland, colloquial) Excellent; superb; deserving of high praise.
- "That roller coaster was champion," laughed Vinny.
(third-person singular simple present champions, present participle championing, simple past and past participle championed)
- (usually of a cause) to promote, advocate, or act as a champion for