- To vindicate is defined as to clear someone of criticism or blame.
Providing evidence in a trial that proves a suspect’s innocence is an example of vindicate.
- Vindicate is defined as to justify an opinion or belief.
A politician who lays out all the reasons he was pushing for a controversial policy is an example of vindicate.
- to clear from criticism, blame, guilt, suspicion, etc.; uphold by evidence or argument
- to defend or maintain (a cause, claim, etc.) against opposition
- to serve as justification for; justify: a success which vindicated their belief in him
- to lay claim to or establish possession of (something for oneself or another)
- to avenge
- to punish
Origin of vindicate; from Classical Latin vindicatus, past participle of vindicare, to claim, avenge ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps vim, force (see vim) + dicere, to say: see diction
transitive verbvin·di·cat·ed, vin·di·cat·ing, vin·di·cates
- To clear of accusation, blame, suspicion, or doubt with supporting arguments or proof: “Our society permits people to sue for libel so that they may vindicate their reputations” (Irving R. Kaufman).
- To defend, maintain, or insist on the recognition of (one's rights, for example).
- To demonstrate or prove the value or validity of; justify: The results of the experiment vindicated her optimism.
- Obsolete To exact revenge for; avenge.
Origin of vindicateLatin vindicāre, vindicāt-, from vindex, vindic-, surety, avenger; see deik- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present vindicates, present participle vindicating, simple past and past participle vindicated)
- To clear from an accusation, suspicion or criticism.
- to vindicate someone's honor
- To justify by providing evidence.
- to vindicate a right, claim or title
- To maintain or defend a cause against opposition.
- to vindicate the rights of labor movement in developing countries
- To provide justification for.
- The violent history of the suspect vindicated the use of force by the police.
- To lay claim to; to assert a right to; to claim.