- The definition of accuse is to say another person is at fault for doing something wrong.
An example of accuse is to tell a spouse you think he is unfaithful.
accuse definition by Webster's New World
accuse definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb ac·cused, ac·cus·ing, ac·cus·es verb, transitive
- To charge with a shortcoming or error.
- To charge formally with a wrongdoing.
Origin: Middle English acusen, from Latin accūsāre : ad-, ad- + causa, lawsuit.
- ac·cusˈer noun
- ac·cusˈing·ly adverb
accuse - Legal Definition
- To make an accusation against.
- To prosecute.
- To formally institute a legal action against a person or corporation wherein they are charged with committing a crime.
- To judicially or publicly charge one with a criminal offense.
accuse - Phrases/Idioms