- Maintain is defined as to keep in a current state in order to prevent from failing or breaking or to carry on or to support or provide.
- An example of maintain is to bring one's car to a mechanic for regular oil changes.
- An example of maintain is to keep soldiers on task.
- An example of maintain is to care for a family and household.
Regular oil changes help to maintain your car's engine.
- to keep or keep up; continue in or with; carry on
- to keep in existence or continuance: food maintains life
- to keep in a certain condition or position, esp. of efficiency, good repair, etc.; preserve: to maintain roads
- to keep or hold (a place, position, etc.) against attack; defend
- to uphold or defend, as by argument; affirm
- to declare in a positive way; assert
- to support by aid, influence, protection, etc.
- to support by providing means of existence; bear the expenses of: to maintain a family
Origin of maintainMiddle English mainteinen ; from Old French maintenir ; from Medieval Latin manutenere ; from Classical Latin manu tenere, to hold in the hand ; from manu, ablative of manus, hand + tenere, to hold: see manual and amp; tenant
transitive verbmain·tained, main·tain·ing, main·tains
- To keep up or carry on; continue: maintain good relations.
- To keep in an existing state; preserve or retain: maintain one's composure.
- To keep in a condition of good repair or efficiency: maintain two cars.
- a. To provide for; support: maintain a family.b. To keep in existence; sustain: enough food to maintain life.
- To defend or hold against criticism or attack: maintained his stand on taxes.
- To declare to be true; affirm: maintained her innocence.
- To adhere or conform to; keep: maintain a busy schedule.
Origin of maintainMiddle English maintainen, from Old French maintenir, from Medieval Latin manutenēre, from Latin manū tenēre, to hold in the hand : manū, ablative of manus, hand; see man-2 in Indo-European roots + tenēre, to hold; see ten- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present maintains, present participle maintaining, simple past and past participle maintained)