- Neglect is defined as to ignore or fail to care for someone or something or fail to do something.
- An example of neglect is someone not stopping at a red light.
- An example of neglect is someone leaving their baby at home alone.
neglect definition by Webster's New World
- to ignore or disregard: to neglect the advice of others
- to fail to care for or attend to sufficiently or properly; slight: to neglect one's family
- to fail to carry out (an expected or required action) through carelessness or by intention; leave undone
Origin: ; from Classical Latin neglectus, past participle of negligere, neglegere, not to heed, be regardless of ; from neg- (see negation) plush legere, to gather (see logic)
- the action of neglecting
- lack of sufficient or proper care; negligence; disregard
- the state of being neglected
neglect definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb ne·glect·ed, ne·glect·ing, ne·glects
- To pay little or no attention to; fail to heed; disregard: neglected their warnings.
- To fail to care for or attend to properly: neglects her appearance.
- To fail to do or carry out, as through carelessness or oversight: neglected to return the call.
- The act or an instance of neglecting something.
- The state of being neglected.
- Habitual lack of care.
Origin: Latin neglegere, neglēct- : neg-, not; see ne in Indo-European roots + legere, to choose, pick up; see leg- in Indo-European roots.
- ne·glectˈer noun
neglect - Legal Definition