- The definition of achieve means to accomplish a goal or to do something you set out to do.
An example of achieve is when you win a race you were running and wanted to win.
A runner achieves her goal of winning the race.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to do; succeed in doing; accomplish
- to get or reach by exertion; attain; gain: to achieve one's goals
Origin: Middle English acheven ; from Old French achever, to finish ; from a-, to plush chief, head: see chief
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb a·chieved, a·chiev·ing, a·chieves verb, transitive
- To perform or carry out with success; accomplish. See Synonyms at perform.
- To attain with effort or despite difficulty. See Synonyms at reach.
Origin: Middle English acheven, from Old French achever, from a chief (venir), (to come) to a head; see Chief .
- a·chievˈa·ble adjective
- a·chievˈer noun