- The definition of achieve means to accomplish a goal or to do something you set out to do.
An example of achieve is when you win a race you were running and wanted to win.
A runner achieves her goal of winning the race.
transitive verbachieved, achieving
- to do; succeed in doing; accomplish
- to get or reach by exertion; attain; gain: to achieve one's goals
Origin of achieveMiddle English acheven ; from Old French achever, to finish ; from a-, to + chief, head: see chief
verba·chieved, a·chiev·ing, a·chieves
- To gain with effort or despite difficulty; reach: achieve fame as a singer; achieve a record speed.
- To succeed in accomplishing; bring about: achieve a task; achieve an improvement in foreign relations. See Synonyms at perform.
Origin of achieveMiddle English acheven, from Old French achever, from a chief (venir), (to come) to a head; see Chief .
(third-person singular simple present achieves, present participle achieving, simple past and past participle achieved)
- (intransitive) To succeed in something, now especially in academic performance. [from 14th c.]
- To carry out successfully; to accomplish. [from 14th c.]
- To obtain, or gain (a desired result, objective etc.), as the result of exertion; to succeed in gaining; to win. [from 14th c.]
- (now literary) To obtain (a material thing). [from 15th c.]
- Show all the spoils by valiant kings achieved.
- William Shakespeare, Othello, II-i
- He hath achieved a maid / That paragons description.
From Anglo-Norman aschever, Middle French achever, achiever et al., apparently from Late Latin *accappāre, present active infinitive of *accappō, from ad (“to”) + caput (“head”) + -ō (verbal suffix), or alternatively a construction based on Old French chief (“head”). Compare Catalan, Occitan, Portuguese and Spanish acabar, French achever.