- Realize is defined as to achieve or fully understand.
An example of to realize is to finally understand the meaning of a poem.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb re·al·ized, re·al·iz·ing, re·al·iz·es verb, transitive
- To comprehend completely or correctly.
- To bring into reality; make real: He finally realized his lifelong ambition to learn how to play the violin.
- To make realistic: a film that realizes court life of the 17th century.
- To obtain or achieve, as gain or profit: She realized a substantial return on the investment.
- To bring in (a sum) as profit by sale.
Origin: French réaliser, from Old French, from real, real; see real 1.
- reˈal·izˌa·ble adjective
- reˈal·izˌer noun