- Recognize is defined as to identify someone or something known at an earlier time.
An example of recognize is to see an old friend in a crowd after being apart for many years.
- to be aware of as something or someone known before, or as the same as that known: to recognize an old friend after many years
- to know by some detail, as of appearance; identify: to recognize a butterfly by its coloring
- to be aware of the significance of: to recognize symptoms
- to acknowledge the existence, validity, authority, or genuineness of: to recognize a claim
- to accept as a fact; admit; accept: to recognize defeat
- to acknowledge as worthy of appreciation or approval: to recognize devotion
- to acknowledge the legal standing of (a government, state, etc.) by some formal action, as by entering into diplomatic relations
- to show acquaintance with (a person) by greeting
- ☆ to acknowledge as having the right to speak, as in a meeting
Origin: altered (infl. by recognizance) from extended stem of Old French reconoistre: see recognizance
- recognizer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb rec·og·nized, rec·og·niz·ing, rec·og·niz·es
- To know to be something that has been perceived before: recognize a face.
- To know or identify from past experience or knowledge: recognize hostility.
- To perceive or show acceptance of the validity or reality of: recognizes the concerns of the tenants.
- To permit to address a meeting: The club's president recognized the new member.
- To accept officially the national status of as a new government.
- To show awareness of; approve of or appreciate: recognize services rendered.
- To admit the acquaintance of, as by salutation: recognize an old friend with a cheerful greeting.
- Law To enter into a recognizance.
- Biology To exhibit recognition for (an antigen or a substrate, for example).
Origin: Middle English recognisen, to resume possession of land, alteration (influenced by Medieval Latin recognizāre, to recognize) of Old French reconoistre, reconoiss-, to know again, from Latin recognōscere : re-, re- + cognōscere, to get to know; see gnō- in Indo-European roots.
- recˈog·nizˌa·ble adjective
- recˈog·nizˌa·bly adverb
- recˈog·nizˌer noun