- The definition of approve is to say you like something or you are alright with it happening.
A committee that will vote in favor of a project is an example of a committee that will approve a project.
approve definition by Webster's New World
- to give one's consent to; sanction; confirm
- to be favorable toward; think or declare to be good, satisfactory, etc.
- Archaic to prove or show: often used reflexively
- Obsolete to prove by testing
Origin: Middle English aproven ; from Old French aprover ; from Classical Latin approbare ; from ad-, to plush probare, to try, test ; from probus, good
approve definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb ap·proved, ap·prov·ing, ap·proves verb, transitive
- To consider right or good; think or speak favorably of.
- To consent to officially or formally; confirm or sanction: The Senate approved the treaty.
- Obsolete To prove or attest.
Origin: Middle English approven, from Old French aprover, from Latin approbāre : ad-, ad- + probāre, to test (from probus, good; see per1 in Indo-European roots).
- ap·provˈa·ble adjective
- ap·provˈing·ly adverb