- Identify is defined as to put oneself in another's place or sympathize with someone.
An example of identify is a woman watching a movie and feeling the pain felt by a woman character in the movie.
- Identify means to determine who or what someone or something is.
- An example of identify is finding out what species a flower belongs to.
- An example of identify is security asking for someone's driver's license to find out if they are over 21.
identify definition by Webster's New World
- to make identical; consider or treat as the same: to identify one's interests with another's
- to recognize as being or show to be the very person or thing known, described, or claimed; fix the identity of: to identify a biological specimen
- to connect, associate, or involve closely: to identify a person with a school of thought
- Psychoanalysis to make an identification of (oneself) with someone else: often used absolutely
Origin: Late Latin identificare: see identity and amp; -fy
identify definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb i·den·ti·fied, i·den·ti·fy·ing, i·den·ti·fies verb, transitive
- To establish the identity of.
- To ascertain the origin, nature, or definitive characteristics of.
- Biology To determine the taxonomic classification of (an organism).
- To consider as identical or united; equate.
- To associate or affiliate (oneself) closely with a person or group.
Origin: Medieval Latin identificāre, to make to resemble : Late Latin identitās, identity; see identity + Latin -ficāre, -fy.
- i·denˌti·fiˈa·ble adjective
- i·denˌti·fiˈa·bly adverb
- i·denˈti·fiˌer noun