- Identifying is defined as making the same, recognizing, connecting or empathizing.
An example of identifying is matching up plants with their biological names.
Variant of identify
- to make identical; consider or treat as the same: to identify one's interests with another's
- to recognize as being or show to be the very person or thing known, described, or claimed; fix the identity of: to identify a biological specimen
- to connect, associate, or involve closely: to identify a person with a school of thought
- Psychoanalysis to make an identification of (oneself) with someone else: often used absolutely
Origin: LL identificare: see identity and amp; -fy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.