- The definition of acknowledge means to state that something is real, factual or true.
An example of acknowledge is agreeing that it is true that you were supposed to be home an hour ago.
- Acknowledge is defined as to show thanks or appreciation or to recognize someone's efforts or accomplishments.
An example of acknowledge is to send a thank-you card.
acknowledge definition by Webster's New World
- to admit to be true or as stated; confess
- to recognize the authority or claims of
- to recognize and answer (a greeting or greeter, an introduction, etc.)
- to express thanks for
- to state that one has received (a letter, gift, favor, payment, etc.)
- Law to admit or affirm as genuine; certify in legal form: to acknowledge a deed
Origin: earlier aknowledge ; from Middle English knowlechen ; from knowleche (see knowledge): influenced, influence by Middle English aknowen ; from Old English oncnawan, to understand, know, with Latinized prefix
- acknowledgeable adjective
acknowledge definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb ac·knowl·edged, ac·knowl·edg·ing, ac·knowl·edg·es
- a. To admit the existence, reality, or truth of.b. To recognize as being valid or having force or power.
- a. To express recognition of: acknowledge a friend's smile.b. To express thanks or gratitude for.
- To report the receipt of: acknowledge a letter.
- Law To accept or certify as legally binding: acknowledge a deed.
Origin: Probably blend of Middle English knowlechen, to acknowledge (from knouen, to know; see know) and Middle English aknouen, to recognize (from Old English oncnāwan, to know : on-, on; see on + cnāwan, to know; see know).
- ac·knowlˈedge·a·ble adjective