- The definition of accredit means to give someone or something an honor or to assign credentials.
An example of the word accredit is the assignment of credentials a college receives when it completes the periodic process of showing evidence of high quality instruction and rigor in its curriculum.
- Accredit is defined as to give recognition to someone.
An example of accredit is when an author includes the names of those who helped her when writing her novel.
- to bring into credit or favor
- to authorize; give credentials to: an accredited representative
- to certify as meeting certain set standards: colleges may be accredited by regional associations
- to attribute; credit: an action accredited to him
Origin of accreditFrench accréditer, to give credit or authority ; from à, to + crédit, credit
transitive verbac·cred·it·ed, ac·cred·it·ing, ac·cred·its
- a. To ascribe or attribute (something) to someone: The invention of the lightning rod is accredited to Franklin.b. To give credit to: the writer who is accredited with having written the piece.
- a. To certify as meeting prescribed standards or requirements, as of a profession: a school that is accredited by the state's board of education.b. To supply with credentials or authority, as of a government: accredit an envoy. See Synonyms at authorize.
Origin of accreditFrench accréditer : a-, to (from Latin ad-; see ad–) + crédit, credit (from Old French; see credit).
(third-person singular simple present accredits, present participle accrediting, simple past and past participle accredited)
- To ascribe; attribute; credit with.
- To put or bring into credit; to invest with credit or authority; to sanction.
- To send with letters credential, as an ambassador, envoy, or diplomatic agent; to authorize, as a messenger or delegate.
- To believe; to put trust in.
- To enter on the credit side of an account book.
- To certify as meeting a predetermined standard; to certify an educational institution as upholding the specified standards necessary for the students to advance.
- The school was an accredited college.
- To recognize as outstanding.
- (literally) To credit.