- An example of deny is when you are asked if you ate the cookies and you say no.
- An example of deny is when you are asked for permission to do something and you say no.
- An example of deny is when you insist you are not over 40.
- to declare (a statement) untrue; contradict
- to refuse to accept as true or right; reject as unfounded, unreal, etc.
- to refuse to acknowledge as one's own; disown; repudiate
- to refuse the use of or access to
- to refuse to grant or give
- to refuse the request of (a person)
- Obs. to forbid
Origin of denyMiddle English denien ; from Old French denier ; from Classical Latin denegare ; from de-, intensive + negare, to deny: see negation
- to do without desired things
- to abstain from
transitive verbde·nied, de·ny·ing, de·nies
- To declare untrue; assert to be false: “A senior officer denied that any sensitive documents had been stored there” (Scott Ritter).
- To refuse to believe; reject: deny the existence of evil spirits.
- To refuse to recognize or acknowledge; disavow: The official denied any wrongdoing.
- a. To decline to grant or allow; refuse: deny the student's request; denied the prisoner food or water.b. To give a refusal to; turn down or away: The protesters were determined not to be denied.c. To restrain (oneself) especially from indulgence in pleasures.
Origin of denyMiddle English denien, from Old French denier, from Latin d&emacron;negare : d&emacron;-, de- + negare, to say no; see ne in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present denies, present participle denying, simple past and past participle denied)
- To not allow.
- I wanted to go to the party, but I was denied.
- To assert that something is not true.
- I deny that I was at the party.
- Everyone knows he committed the crime, but he still denies it.
- To disallow
- to refuse to give or grant something to someone
- My father denied me a good education.
- (sports) To prevent from scoring.
- To disclaim connection with, responsibility for, etc.; to refuse to acknowledge; to disown; to abjure; to disavow.
- This is a catenative verb that takes the gerund (-ing).
deny - Legal Definition