- The definition of contradict is to say or write the opposite of something.
- An example of contradict is for a teenager to say he was at the library last night at 8 p.m for four hours., but then to later mention that the movie he saw last night was great.
- An example of contradict is to express a belief against a popular political opinion.
- to assert the opposite of (what someone else has said)
- to deny the statement of (a person)
- to declare (a statement, report, etc.) to be false or incorrect
- to be contrary or opposed to; go against: the facts contradict his theory
Origin: ; from Classical Latin contradictus, past participle of contradicere ; from contra-, contra- plush dicere, to speak: see diction
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb con·tra·dict·ed, con·tra·dict·ing, con·tra·dicts verb, transitive
- To assert or express the opposite of (a statement).
- To deny the statement of. See Synonyms at deny.
- To be contrary to; be inconsistent with.
Origin: Latin contrādīcere, contrādict-, to speak against : contrā-, contra- + dīcere, to speak; see deik- in Indo-European roots.
- conˌtra·dictˈa·ble adjective
- conˌtra·dictˈer, conˌtra·dicˈtor noun