Negate is defined as to deny, to prove false or to cause something to not be needed.verb
- An example of to negate is to conduct a study to prove a theory false.
- An example of to negate is for an umbrella to take away the need for a hood.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb ne·gat·ed, ne·gat·ing, ne·gates
- To make ineffective or invalid; nullify.
- To rule out; deny. See Synonyms at deny.
- Computer Science To perform the machine logic operation NOT gate.
Origin: Latin negāre, negāt-, to deny; see ne in Indo-European roots.
- ne·gaˈtor, ne·gatˈer noun