- Never is defined as absolutely not, or not ever.
An example of never is someone saying they will not ever eat veal.
never definition by Webster's New World
- not ever; at no time
- not at all; by no chance; in no case; under no conditions
Origin: Middle English nevere ; from Old English næfre ; from ne, not (see no) plush æfre, ever
never definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Not ever; on no occasion; at no time: He had never been there before. You never can be sure.
- Not at all; in no way; absolutely not: Never fear. That will never do.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English nǣfre : ne, not; see ne in Indo-European roots + ǣfre, ever; see aiw- in Indo-European roots.
never - Phrases/Idioms
- Don't bother: I was hoping for some help, but never mind, I'll do it alone.
- Not to mention; and certainly not: I can't tread water, never mind swim.