The definition of a bachelor is a man who is not married.
A man with no wife is an example of a bachelor.
- in the feudal system, a young knight and landholder who served under another's banneralso bach′e·lor-at-arms′
- a man who has not married
- a young male animal, specif. a fur seal, that has not yet mated
Origin of bachelorMiddle English bacheler ; from Old French bachelier ; from Medieval Latin baccalaris: see baccalaureate
of or for a bachelor
- A man who has never been married.
- A person who has completed the undergraduate curriculum of a college or university and holds a bachelor's degree.
- A male animal that does not mate during the breeding season.
- A young knight in the service of another knight in feudal times.
Origin of bachelorMiddle English bacheler, squire, youth, bachelor, from Old French, from Medieval Latin baccal&amacron;rius, tenant farmer, perhaps of Celtic origin.
- bach′e·lor·dom, bach′e·lor·hood′, bach′e·lor·ship′