The definition of a bachelor is a man who is not married.
A man with no wife is an example of a bachelor.
- in the feudal system, a young knight and landholder who served under another's banneralso bach′e·lor-at-arms′
- a man who has not married
- a young male animal, specif. a fur seal, that has not yet mated
Origin of bachelorMiddle English bacheler from Old French bachelier from Medieval Latin baccalaris: see baccalaureate
of or for a bachelor
- a. A man who is not married.b. A man who has never been married.c. A man who is not married and is not involved in a serious romantic relationship.
- A person who has completed the undergraduate curriculum of a college or university and holds a bachelor's degree.
- A male animal that does not mate during the breeding season.
- A young knight in the service of another knight in feudal times.
Origin of bachelorMiddle English bacheler squire, youth, bachelor from Old French from Medieval Latin baccalārius tenant farmer perhaps of Celtic origin
- bach′e·lor·dom bach′e·lor·hood′ bach′e·lor·ship′