- The definition of a bachelor is a man who is not married.
A man with no wife is an example of a bachelor.
- in the feudal system, a young knight and landholder who served under another's banneralso bachelor-at-arms
- a man who has not married
- a young male animal, specif. a fur seal, that has not yet mated
Origin: Middle English bacheler ; from Old French bachelier ; from Midieval Latin baccalaris: see baccalaureate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An unmarried man.
- A person who has completed the undergraduate curriculum of a college or university and holds a bachelor's degree.
- A male animal that does not mate during the breeding season, especially a young male fur seal kept from the breeding territory by older males.
- A young knight in the service of another knight in feudal times.
Origin: Middle English bacheler, squire, youth, bachelor, from Old French, from Medieval Latin baccalārius, tenant farmer, perhaps of Celtic origin.
- bachˈe·lor·dom, bachˈe·lor·hoodˌ, bachˈe·lor·shipˌ noun