eligible[el′i jə bəl]
- The definition of eligible is being qualified for or permitted to do something or a person who is an attractive candidate for marriage.
- An example of eligible is someone over 18 who is permitted to join the army.
- An example of eligible is a bachelor who is ready to settle down, who is handsome, rich, romantic and kind.
- fit to be chosen; legally or morally qualified
- suitable or desirable, esp. for marriage
- ☆ Football allowed by the rules to catch a forward pass
Origin of eligibleMiddle English ; from Medieval Latin eligibilis ; from Classical Latin eligere: see elect
- Qualified or entitled to be chosen: eligible to run for office; eligible for retirement.
- Desirable and worthy of choice, especially for marriage: an eligible bachelor.
- Football Allowed under the rules to catch a forward pass.
Origin of eligibleMiddle English, from Old French, from Late Latin ēligibilis, from Latin ēligere, to select; see elect.
(comparative more eligible, superlative most eligible)
Used in the phrase eligible bachelor to mean “desirable male”, the corresponding term for a woman is nubile.
- One who is eligible.