- The definition of worthy is someone or something that has desirable qualities and is entitled to respect or attention.
An example of someone who would be described as worthy of an award is a person who has all the qualities required to obtain the award.
- having worth, value, or merit
- having enough worth or merit (for someone or something specified); meriting: often with of or an infinitive: a man worthy of her, a candidate worthy to be supported
Origin of worthyMiddle English worthi
- worthy of; deserving: praiseworthy
- safe or suitable for: seaworthy
- Having worth, merit, or value: a worthy cause.
- Honorable; admirable: a worthy fellow.
- Having sufficient worth; deserving: worthy to be revered; worthy of acclaim.
- Of sufficient worth for: creditworthy.
- Suitable or safe for: crashworthy.
Origin of -worthyFrom worthy.
(comparative worthier, superlative worthiest)
From Middle English worthy, wurthi, from Old English *weorÃ¾iÄ¡ ((not found); "worthy"), equivalent to worth +â€Ž -y. Cognate with Dutch waardig (â€œworthyâ€), Middle Low German werdig (â€œworthyâ€), German wÃ¼rdig (â€œworthyâ€), Swedish vÃ¤rdig (â€œworthyâ€), Icelandic verÃ°ugt (â€œworthyâ€).
(third-person singular simple present worthies, present participle worthying, simple past and past participle worthied)
From Middle English worthien, wurthien, from Old English weorÃ¾ian (â€œto esteem, honor, worship, distinguish, celebrate, exalt, praise, adorn, deck, enrich, rewardâ€), from Proto-Germanic *werÃ¾ÅnÄ… (â€œto be worthy, estimate, appreciate, appraiseâ€), from Proto-Indo-European *wert- (â€œto turn, windâ€). Cognate with German werten (â€œto rate, judge, grade, scoreâ€), Swedish vÃ¤rdera (â€œto evaluate, rate, size up, assess, estimateâ€), Icelandic virÃ°a (â€œto respect, esteemâ€).
Partly from worthy (combining form), and partly continuing Middle English -wurthe (â€œ-ableâ€), from Old English -wierÃ¾e (â€œ-ableâ€), from Proto-Germanic *werÃ¾ijaz (â€œworthyâ€), from Proto-Indo-European *wert- (â€œto turn, bendâ€). Cognate with Dutch -waardig (â€œ-worthyâ€), German -wÃ¼rdig (â€œ-worthyâ€).