- The definition of worthy is someone or something that has desirable qualities and is entitled to respect or attention.
An example of someone who would be described as worthy of an award is a person who has all the qualities required to obtain the award.
- having worth, value, or merit
- having enough worth or merit (for someone or something specified); meriting: often with of or an infinitive: a man worthy of her, a candidate worthy to be supported
Origin: Middle English worthi
- worthy of; deserving: praiseworthy
- safe or suitable for: seaworthy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective wor·thi·er, wor·thi·est
- Having worth, merit, or value; useful or valuable.
- Honorable; admirable: a worthy fellow.
- Having sufficient worth; deserving: worthy to be revered; worthy of acclaim.
- worˈthi·ly adverb
- worˈthi·ness noun
- Of sufficient worth for: creditworthy.
- Suitable or safe for: crashworthy.
Origin: From worthy.