- An example of respectable is a five-point win in a baseball game.
- An example of respectable is someone who built a profitable business by themselves.
The definition of respectable is something of decent quality or size, or someone worthy of respect.
- worthy of respect or esteem; estimable
- conforming to socially acceptable behavior, attitudes, taste, etc.; proper; correct
- fairly good in quality; of moderate excellence: a respectable meal
- fairly large in size, number, or amount: a stock earning a respectable dividend
- good enough to be seen, used, etc.; presentable: a respectable pair of shoes
Origin of respectableMedieval Latin respectabilis
- Meriting respect or esteem; worthy.
- Of or appropriate to good or proper behavior or conventional conduct.
- Of moderately good quality: respectable work.
- Considerable in amount, number, or size: a respectable sum of money.
- Acceptable in appearance; presentable: a respectable hat.
- re·spect′a·bil′i·ty , re·spect′a·ble·ness
(comparative more respectable, superlative most respectable)
respect +"Ž -able