The definition of miserly is someone who is cheap.
When you are so cheap that you refuse to tip when you go out to dinner even when you get good service, this is an example of behavior that would be described as miserly.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of a miser; avaricious or penurious.
- Finally, there are at least three garters per leg, as opposed to the miserly two on modern belts, better guaranteeing that stockings and seams stay in place.
- The film traces the life of Mr. Scrooge, a miserly man who will never see the holidays as any good.
- Women with a Taurus moon are usually independent and self-reliant, but can also be a bit miserly.
- A great example of this is Miserly Moms, run by author and spokeswoman Jonni McCoy.
- Mr. Krabs is very money-oriented and he loves the fact that SpongeBob happily works in his restaurant for a miserly salary.