The penurious man could not afford rent and became homeless.
- A homeless person who has no money or assets is an example of someone who would be described as penurious.
- A person who will not even spend a dollar on his grandchild's present because he is so cheap is an example of someone who is penurious.
The definition of penurious is someone extremely poor or something that is characterized by poverty, or being very cheap and unwilling to spend any money.
- unwilling to part with money or possessions; mean; miserly; stingy
- characterized by extreme poverty; impoverished
Origin of penuriousMedieval Latin penuriosus from Classical Latin penuria: see penury
- Poverty-stricken; destitute.
- Unwilling to spend money; stingy.
- Scanty or meager: “an allowance of cold meat and bread, in the same penurious proportion observed in our ordinary meals” ( Charlotte Brontë )
Origin of penuriousFrom Medieval Latin pēnūriōsus from Latin pēnūria want
(comparative more penurious, superlative most penurious)
- Miserly; excessively cheap.
- The old man died a penurious wretch; eighty-thousand dollars in the mattress and as many holes in the roof.
- Not bountiful; thin; scant.
- The penurious stew would have been more accurately labelled broth.
- Impoverished; wanting for money.
- The poor penurious horde, naught in the cooking pot and naught in the belly.