- The definition of generous is kind and giving, or a large amount.
- An example of generous is a small business giving their employees an end of year bonus.
- An example of generous is a plate piled high with food.
A generous amount of food.
generous definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete of noble birth
- having qualities attributed to people of noble birth; noble-minded; gracious; magnanimous
- giving or sharing liberally and willingly; openhanded
- large; ample: generous portions
- rich in yield; fertile
- full-flavored and strong: said of wine
Origin: Classical Latin generosus, of noble birth, excellent, generous ; from genus: see genus
generous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Liberal in giving or sharing. See Synonyms at liberal.
- Characterized by nobility and forbearance in thought or behavior; magnanimous.
- Marked by abundance; ample: a generous slice of cake.
- Having a rich bouquet and flavor: a generous wine.
- Obsolete Of noble lineage.
Origin: French genereux, of noble birth, magnanimous, from Latin generōsus, from genus, gener-, birth; see genə- in Indo-European roots.
- genˈer·ous·ly adverb
- genˈer·ous·ness noun