- The definition of ingenuous is open or frank.
An example of ingenuous is a person who tells the truth.
ingenuous definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete of noble birth or nature
- frank; open; candid
- simple; artless; naive; without guile
Origin: Classical Latin ingenuus, native, inborn, freeborn, noble, frank ; from ingignere, to engender ; from in-, in plush gignere, to produce: see genus
ingenuous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Lacking in cunning, guile, or worldliness; artless.
- Openly straightforward or frank; candid. See Synonyms at naive.
- Obsolete Ingenious.
Origin: Latin ingenuus, honest, freeborn; see genə- in Indo-European roots.
- in·genˈu·ous·ly adverb
- in·genˈu·ous·ness noun