The definition of disingenuous is insincere, deceptive or misleading.
An example of disingenuous is a child's excuse, “the dog ate my homework.”
- not straightforward; not candid or frank
- slyly deceptive or misleading, typically by means of a pretense of ignorance or unawareness
- Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: “Increasingly, the question of immigration has become a disingenuous stalking-horse for race and racial hostility” (Tyler Stovall).
- Pretending to be unaware or unsophisticated; faux-na&idie;f.
- Usage Problem Unaware or uninformed; naive.
(comparative more disingenuous, superlative most disingenuous)
- Nouns to which "disingenuous" is often applied: attempt, argument, statement, conduct, people, excuse, question.
dis- + ingenuous