- An example of honest is someone telling their friend that a meal they prepared had too much salt.
- An example of honest is a student admitting they cheated on a test.
The definition of honest is someone or something that is truthful, trustworthy or genuine.
- held in respect; honorable
- respectable, creditable, commendable, seemly, etc.: a generalized epithet of commendation
- that will not lie, cheat, or steal; truthful; trustworthy
- showing fairness and sincerity; straightforward; free from deceit: an honest effort
- gained or earned by fair methods, not by cheating, lying, or stealing: an honest living
- being what it seems; genuine; pure: to give honest measure
- frank and open: an honest face
- Archaic virtuous; chaste
Origin of honestMiddle English ; from Old French honeste ; from Classical Latin honestus ; from honor, honor
Informal honestly; truly: an intensifier
- Marked by or displaying integrity; upright: an honest lawyer.
- Not deceptive or fraudulent; genuine: honest weight.
- Equitable; fair: honest wages for an honest day's work.
- a. Characterized by truth; not false: honest reporting.b. Sincere; frank: an honest critique.
- a. Of good repute; respectable.b. Without affectation; plain: honest folk.
- Virtuous; chaste.
Origin of honestMiddle English, from Old French honeste, from Latin honestus, honorable, from honor, honor (earlier hon&omacron;s).
(comparative honester or more honest, superlative honestest or most honest)
- (of a person or institution) Scrupulous with regard to telling the truth; not given to swindling, lying, or fraud; upright.
- We're the most honest people you will ever come across.
- (of a statement) True, especially as far as is known by the person making the statement; fair; unbiased.
- an honest account of events; honest reporting
- In good faith; without malice.
- an honest mistake
- (of a measurement device) Accurate.
- an honest scale
- Authentic; full.
- an honest day's work
- Earned or acquired in a fair manner.
- an honest dollar
- Open; frank.
- an honest countenance
(third-person singular simple present honests, present participle honesting, simple past and past participle honested)